Effective healthy practices in the workplace can reduce health risks and improve employees’ lives. By reducing costs like insurance premiums and worker’s compensation claims, maintaining healthy habits in the workplace can help reduce a company’s bottom line. Additionally, a healthy workforce will positively impact return on investment (ROI) by improving absenteeism and work productivity.i
With employees spending more than eight hours a day, five days a week at work, it’s essential for companies to do their best to provide a safe and healthy work environment.ii
Healthy workplace ideas
There are several practices a company can implement in the workplace to make health a priority. Here are a few to consider:
- Provide ergonomic equipment at workstations. Companies can offer their employees desks, chairs and other ergonomic equipment. Standing desks and chairs that support the back and spine can reduce neck and back soreness caused by long hours sitting at a desk. Standing desks encourage employees to get up and move more.
- Offer healthy snacks or vending machine options. Offering healthy snacks is an easy way to combat obesity and encourage a well-balanced diet. Consider stocking the breakroom with free healthy snack alternatives or stock your vending machines with only nutrient-rich, wholesome snacks to help fight those afternoon cravings.iii
- Protect eyesight. Eye strain from staring at a computer all day can cause blurriness, dry eyes and headaches. Encourage employees to follow the 20/20/20 rule, which says every 20 minutes look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds.iv
- Provide onsite flu shots and health clinics, if possible. Offering onsite flu shot options or health clinics to provide shots makes it easier and more efficient for employees to get vaccinated and lessen their chance of getting and spreading the flu.
- Encourage employees to get moving. Employees in a desk job spend close to 70 percent of their workday sitting down.v Encourage employees to take their meetings from the conference room to the hallways and walk laps around the office. Form walking or running clubs so employees can meet people who share the same healthy habits. Encourage employees to take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible.
While employers can’t force employees to take advantage of all the healthy workplace ideas listed above, they can positively influence their choices by making healthy options more readily available and accessible.
There are many activities companies can implement to create healthy practices in the workplace. Read Go365’s list of ideas to create a healthy workplace, contact your Humana sales rep or request more information about Go365’s wellness program by filling out this formOpens in new window.
Go365 is not an insurance product and is not available with all Humana health plans. This is a general description of services which are subject to change. Product features may vary by client. Please refer to Customer Support for more information.
1 “Workplace Health Model,” CDC, last accessed April 19, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/workplacehealthpromotion/model/index.htmlOpens in new window
3 Megan Ruesink, “6 Examples of Positive Workplace Health Practices,” last accessed April 19, 2021. https://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/health-sciences/blog/positive-workplace-health-examples/Opens in new window
4 “Workplace Wellness: 10 tips for good health at work,” four wellness co., last accessed April 19, 2021. https://fourwellness.co/blog/workplace-wellness-10-tips-for-good-health-at-workOpens in new window
5 “Promote Healthy Habits in the Workplace,” Tandem HR, last accessed April 19, 2021. https://tandemhr.com/promote-healthy-habits/Opens in new window